£18000 - £19000 / annum – depending on experience
This is a full-time position, 5 days out of 7, including weekends, bank holidays and school holidays. Rotas will vary according to school group & Event bookings during term time.
Green Dragon Rare Breeds Farm & Eco Centre is an open farm and visitor attraction. We pride ourselves on sustainability and promoting a Green approach to living. We are self-sustaining and Eco with our energy production, water management, sewerage management, and our ‘farm to folk’ philosophy.
We have only been fully operational for just over 3 years and we already have a loyal following of supporters and visitors. We are growing fast and are looking for forward thinking, motivated, creative and hardworking individuals to help us achieve our mission.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone to join our team at a time when our Wildlife offering is developing. We have already expanded our pets corner to include exotic pets, we already have our first owls and Reindeer. 2018 will bring the construction of our new Wildlife zone and owl sanctuary.
Reporting to the General Manager, the key purpose of this role is to prepare and deliver classroom and outdoor based learning to groups of students from pre-school age up to undergraduate level and produce educational material for the Farm. You will also lead in the delivery of Educational and interactive talks to our visitors, design and run activities for our annual events and marketing the Farms educational services and dealing with enquiries from the public and visitors. This role will also include managing enquiries and bookings for the delivery of our Green Dragon Roadshow which is our own take on Outreach experiences for the public and schools.
The successful application will have:
· Excellent presentation skills are essential;
· Must be outgoing, charismatic and have a confident enthusiastic personality;
· Must be organised, self-motivated with good interpersonal skills;
· Must be commercial minded and motivated to promote our educational services through all sales routes.
The successful applicant will be expected to:
· Implement an education strategy that addresses all forms of education, including development of new programs;
· Organise education activities and presentations for Farm visitors, including seasonal activities such as arts and crafts;
· Co-ordinate school visits;
· Deliver national curriculum-linked teaching - formal & informal;
· Deliver entertaining and exciting lessons & public presentations;
· Assist in the organisation of farm events;
- Practically work on the livestock department as require;
Necessary skills required:
· Motivated individual who can work alone and as part of a team;
· Excellent presentation skills;
· Knowledge of wildlife and conservation;
· practical Animal Handling experience (Reptiles, Amphibians, Inverts, Small Mammals, Birds, Sheep & Goats (for the Green Dragon Road Show)
· Flexible approach to work and able to work under pressure;
· Excellent written English;
· Excellent creative writing skills; and
· Full driving license.
· Degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline;
· 2 years minimum employed experience within Farm & Zoo based education
· Experience of working within a Farm, Wildlife Park OR Zoo;
· Experience of teaching at primary level;
· Experience of Microsoft excel, Microsoft Word and Powerpoint.
We ask that the successful candidate has their own transport to and from work, be punctual and flexible with working hours and is willing to relocate.
Please mark any email correspondence FAO:
Jay Wood (General Manager) and include a CV with your covering letter.
Post open until filled.
Independent International Zoo Consultant