Keeper - Hoofstock
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
ZSL is looking for a Part Time Keeper to join our Hoofstock team to work every Thursday and alternate weekends. The successful candidate will be expected to ensure high standards of animal welfare and animal husbandry are carried out daily. To keep daily checks and records of animals health and behaviours and report to senior members of the team. Good communication skills and experience of dealing with the public is essential, together with the ability to work effectively within a very dedicated and professional team.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Assisting as instructed with the cleaning of designated areas.
- Assisting as instructed with all aspects of animal husbandry on a daily basis.
- Assisting under instruction with the preparation of approved diets.
- Assisting under instruction/supervision the carrying out of correct feeding procedures where this is deemed appropriate by the Team Leader
- Ensuring that safety and emergency procedures are followed at all times.
- Maintaining courteous and helpful relations with visitors.
- Reporting defects and repairs required to the Team Leader or more senior staff.
- Assisting in various projects related to animal management as directed by senior animal management staff.
- Have great customer service and communication skills as there will be a need to engage and interact with visitors.
- Practical experience of working with hoofed mammals, preferably animal management of exotic hoofed species.
- Willingness to work on and learn about evolving husbandry management within zoological collections to include positive re-enforcement training for behavioural management and varied methods of enrichment for a range of species.
- Be able to demonstrate initiative and a pro-active approach to completing tasks beneficial to the section/department without always waiting to be asked.
Please note we are looking for candidates to start as soon as possible.
To apply or learn more please click HERE
Independent International Zoo Consultant