Director of Animal Care
Organization: Buffalo Zoo
Location: Buffalo, NY
Date: July 24, 2008
Become a member of the Buffalo Zoo’s dynamic senior management team as we complete a multi-million reconstruction of this beloved community asset devoted to wildlife conservation and education. Reporting to the General Curator, this position is responsible for directing, scheduling, supervising, hiring, training, and evaluating Animal Care staff. Responsible for the daily care and well-being of the entire animal collection. Salary is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package. Equal Opportunity Employer.
· Interviews, selects, motivates, schedules, supervises and evaluates all animal keeper staff.
· Trains animal staff to complete daily routines; develops and maintains area SOPs.
· Inspects exhibit and holding areas to ensure proper husbandry and animal welfare standards are maintained. Initiates and follows up on work orders for maintenance and horticulture.
· Prepares daily briefing for animal care staff. Reviews daily keeper reports in order to respond to and correct animal health and maintenance issues.
· Coordinates animal health and other medical procedures with veterinary staff, in conjunction with General Curator.
· 20Ensures compliance with AZA and USDA standards and policies.
· Maintains safety equipment and oversees programs intended to ensure utilization of proper safety standards.
· Assists General Curator with Institutional Collection Plan regarding breeding, acquisition, and disposition of species. Provides direction and oversight of the reptile and amphibian collection.
· Participates in the planning and design of new exhibit areas; ensures construction meets needs and standards of collection animals.
· Serves as member of the Animal Recapture Team.
· Facilities and coordinates tours, public relations and media events in animal areas.
· Acts as the Animal Department head in the absence of the General Curator.
· Other duties as requested by the General Curator.
· Bachelor’s degree in Zoology or other animal-related discipline.
· Minimum of eight years experience in the care and management of captive wildlife, including five years supervisory experience.
· Must possess a broad knowledge of animal husbandry and training.
· Must have a demonstrated ability to lead and supervise.
Must have strong problem solving and decision-making skills.
· Excellent verbal/written communication skills.
· Must possess effective interpersonal, listening and time management skills.
Please submit resume and cover letter by August 11, 2008 to:
300 Parkside Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14214
Email: dmaloney@buffalozoo .org
Please mention you saw the advertisement in ZooNews Digest should you
apply for this post