Animal Keeper - Large Carnivore Section
Howletts & Port Lympne Wild Animal Parks, in conjunction with the Aspinall Foundation, is a charity based organisation committed to protecting rare and endangered animals from extinction through captive breeding and reintroduction programmes. We have one of the leading collections of large carnivores in the UK including tigers, lions, leopards, cheetah, wolves and African painted dogs (EEP holder for this species). 2016 has seen the opening of one of the largest spectacled bear enclosures in Europe.
Port Lympne Wild Animal Park is seeking a hardworking and dedicated keeper to work with our small team of enthusiastic and like-minded keepers on our Large Carnivore Section. The Aspinall Foundation encourages its keepers to visit relevant in-situ projects and become actively involved in our on-going reintroduction programmes.
This is a very physical role and the successful applicant will be expected to undertake all duties on the section from prepping meat and cleaning to general maintenance and upkeep of enclosures including all aspects of exhibit presentation. Conservation, education and enrichment play a big role in the park so there will be plenty of opportunities for doing talks and displays to the public. The position will also include some reptile work.
• Previous experience gained in a zoo park/equivalent environment
• Good overall knowledge of large carnivore species
• Good knowledge of current conservation issues concerning large carnivores and experience delivering this information to the visitors through talks etc
• Hands on approach to restraint and handling of animals
• A zoo animal management qualification or willingness to work towards one
• Committed, passionate and hard working
• Full clean valid driving licence
• Large carnivore experience
• Off road driving experience
• Firearm licence
• Enclosure design
• Butchery and livestock dispatch
• Reptile experience
• Basic building skills
Working 40 hours per week, 5 days out of 7 including weekends and bank holidays. The successful candidate will have a genuinely flexible approach to working hours.
All applicants must have right to work in the UK.
Closing Date: 26th August 2016 or earlier if sufficient applications are received.
To apply: Please email a CV along with a covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or post to: Human Resources, Port Lympne Wild Animal Park, Lympne, Hythe, Kent, CT21 4PD
Visit our website at www.aspinallfoundation.org for further information.
Independent International Zoo Consultant