Primate and Reptile Internships (6 Months)
Drayton Manor Zoo
Drayton Manor Zoo - Primate and Reptile Internships (6 Months)
Are you looking to start your career as a Zoo Keeper, keen to get some experience then we have the ideal opportunities for you! We are have voluntary internships for a period of 6 months (including a one-month probationary period) working within our keeping department. (Full time i.e. a five day working week including weekends).
All internships are purely voluntary and as such it is with regret that we are unable to provide any financial support or expenses to those wishing to apply for these positions. To ensure that interns are provided with valuable experience; a training agreement will be completed and reviewed regularly and a training record will be provided upon completion of the placement.
We will provide you with full uniform, allocation of theme park tickets, free parking, subsidised lunch provision alongside the opportunity to learn skills that will form the basis of your Zoo Keeping career.
What will I get from the internship?
- experience and understanding of the work of a zoo animal keeping department.
- to apply own personal skills and take ownership of a series of tasks and/or a research project.
- opportunity to reflect on training and experience throughout the placement.
- assisting with daily animal husbandry e.g. feeding, cleaning, enrichment provision,
- observations of animals and recording of relevant information.
- training in basic research methods.
- visitor interaction e.g. answering visitor questions in a polite and sensitive manner.
- assisting with student supervision at the direction of the senior keeper.
- training in animal-management related computer software.
- training in all aspects of the company’s code of practise.
What do you need to apply?
- a qualification or enrolment on an animal science related discipline would be desirable.
- previous animal-related work experience.
- good communication skills.
- adaptable to different working environments.
- able to work in a team and independently.
- physically fit for the demands of the post.
How do I apply?
Email email@example.com for an application form.
Closing date for applications 2nd September 2016.
Independent International Zoo Consultant