Knowsley Safari Park
Hours: 5 days over 7
Closing Date: Friday 2 September 2016
Our Mission Statement: To connect communities with the natural world for the benefit of future generations
An exciting opportunity has arisen at Knowsley Safari for an Animal Manager to join our Animal Team. This is a permanent role that will cover the operations aspects of animal husbandry and welfare, and undertake sustainable resource support for the current and future living collection.
The role will see you reporting directly to the Head of the Animal Division and overseeing all areas of our animal collections and animal teams: Walkaround, Carnivore/Antelope, Rhinos/Baboons, Stock and Grounds.
The post will involve the daily management of each section, therefore, the successful candidate will have considerable leadership experience of managing one or multiple teams and have great interpersonal and communication skills. The role will also involve resource management and so you will be highly organised with the ability to be flexible and prioritise tasks in a dynamic and ever-changing environment. We are looking for someone with good animal grounding, preferably with a zoo management background.
• Plan and facilitate continued enclosure design & habitat improvement to the needs and requirements of a variety of species in the collection and enhance sustainable husbandry and animal welfare standards whilst maintaining optimal guest experience.
• Liaise with contractors in regards with enclosure enhancements, track progress and quality of work and record financial performance within budget constraints.
• Develop H&S policies and procedures and provide implementation and interpretation of these policies & procedures to animal division staff.
• Develop and implement a sustainable procurement method for goods and services part of the animal division operations, including managing budget for animal food supply, non-food consumables, tools, PPE & uniforms.
• Coordinate the logistics of animal transfers.
• Monitor and manage the AD fleet and provide input towards fleet budgeting: acquisitions, disposals and maintenance.
• Cooperate with the HoD, Visitor Services Team, Marketing and the Director of Operations to develop short and long term strategies for the development of the Animal Division and the wider Park.
• Act as Duty Manager Animals as needed and participating member of the Emergency Team during emergencies as stipulated in the Company’s Emergency Management Team Procedures. May be a member of the Gun team.
Applicants should have a full driving licence and be prepared to work weekends and Bank Holidays on a rota system. Each role is based working 5 out of 7 days.
For more information details on how to apply for this position please visit our website at http://www.knowsleysafariexperience.co.uk/vacancies/
Independent International Zoo Consultant