Company: Institute for Marine Mammal Studies
Title: Bird Trainer
Address: 10801 Dolphin Lane, Gulfport, MS 39503
Posted: August 2016
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Number of Positions: 2
Description: The Institute for Marine Mammal Studies (“IMMS”), a private, non-profit organization located in Gulfport, Mississippi, is seeking motivated, dedicated, and experienced individuals to become part of our Animal Care and Training team. The Training team is looking to split the marine mammal and bird departments. Bird trainers will be responsible for all aspects of the daily care and training of different large parrot species and parakeets, providing an enriching environment for the animal and educational experiences for guests.
- · Participate in the primary care and training of resident large parrot species and large flock of parakeets
- · Must handle birds and maintain behaviors with all show animals
- · Routine cleaning and maintenance of all bird exhibits
- · Prepare food and feed according to established procedures
- · Maintain all feeding, behavior, training, and medical records
- · Participate in behavioral enrichment
- · Narrate animal presentations and shows over microphone to large audiences
- · Assist veterinarian during routine animal husbandry
- · Report and communicate with Animal Care Supervisor daily
- · Maintain professional working relationships with entire park staff and maintain a professional appearance
- · Be able to work both independently and as a team
- · May plan and direct the work of junior trainers, interns, and/or volunteers
- · Monitor and ensure safe working environments for birds, staff, and guests
- · Public speaking and presentations during outreach events as required
- · May also participate in research studies, educational programs, and stranding response activities with live and dead stranded marine mammals and sea turtles, necropsies, and other activities of the organization as required.
- · Educational requirement includes, at minimum, a Bachelor’s degree in a science or related field from an accredited university.
- · 1 year experience or more in bird training and/or show setting with experience interpreting bird body language
- · Dedicated bird enthusiast not looking to advance to other species
- · Candidates must be either U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- · Must be able to understand, communicate, and follow written and oral instructions
- · Must have good public speaking skills over a microphone
- · Candidates should be in good physical condition and capable of lifting up to 50 lbs.
- · Able to work flexible hours, including weekends and holidays, as scheduled.
- · Ability to spend much of the day outside in the elements including hot and humid weather.
- · Salary is commensurate with qualifications, experience, and training of the applicant.
- · IMMS is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply:
To apply, Please include the following documents: Cover letter, Current Resume and Photograph
Send you information, Via E-mail to Tim@imms.org.
Please attach application documents as either a PDF, JPEG, or Microsoft Word document to Tim@imms.org with “Bird Trainer Position” in the subject line.
Filename for each document should be first name_last name_document type (for example jane_doe_resume.docx, jane_doe_photograph.jpeg)
Hiring process may take up to 3 weeks, we will be in contact if you are chosen for an interview.
Contact Title: Director of Animal Care
Web Site: www.imms.org
Marine Mammal Training Supervisor
Rescue and Rehab Specialist
Animal Care Volunteer Coordinator
Institute for Marine Mammal Studies
10801 Dolphin Lane
Gulfport, MS 39502
Independent International Zoo Consultant