Experienced Animal Keeper
The Alameda Wildlife Conservation Park
The Alameda Wildlife Conservation Park (AWCP) currently has a vacancy for an experienced animal keeper to join our small, busy team.
An exciting opportunity to help the park to achieve it’s objectives: To achieve excellent husbandry standards, partake in conservation projects relevant to our collection and to provide excellent conservation education.
Keepers are required to be involved in a full range of husbandry duties including general enclosure cleaning, food provisions, husbandry training, and enrichment programmes across all sections of the park. Attention to detail and experience with enclosure furnishing and maintenance would be an advantage. Keepers will also be encouraged to take on other important roles within the park. An interest and/or experience of education, conservation or fundraising would be an advantage as opportunities to expand these areas will be an option for a suitable candidate.
The successful applicant must have previous experience employed within a zoo environment.
The applicant must have excellent communication skills and able to communicate well with visitors and staff. Reception duties and educational talks and tours are also a requirement. The successful applicant will be enthusiastic, a good team player but also the ability to work independently.
• Full time; Permanent position
• Reports to; Senior keeper
• Hours; 37 hrs/wk, 9am-5pm. Includes weekend and bank holiday work on a rotated basis. Due to a small staff base, flexibility is required.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Carrying out and enforcing high standards of welfare and animal husbandry routines e.g. food prep, feeding, cleaning, enrichment provision etc.
• Undertake and record animal observations. ZIMS or ARKS experience would be desirable.
• Deliver high standards of visitor interaction in the form of; keeper talks, experiences, tours and education and charity events
• Overseeing work experience, volunteers and interns
• Liaise and assist in general duties and requirements as directed by senior management
• Other duties to support effective and efficient site maintenance may include: First Aider, pruning, gardening, rubbish removal and general cleaning in order to maintain high standards.
• An animal science related qualification
• 2 years experience in a zoological collection preferable
• Excellent communication skills
• Adaptable for a flexible rota
• Physically fit for the demands of this role
• Driving licence
If you would like the opportunity to join our expanding and proactive team please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 15th September 2016
Independent International Zoo Consultant