Qualified Animal Keeper - Mammals South
ZSL London Zoo
Position: Qualified Animal Keeper – Mammals South (Full-Time / Permanent)
Salary: £25,582 p.a. (Inclusive of London Weighting and Weekend Enhancement)
Location: ZSL London Zoo – NW1
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
Overview of Role:
ZSL is seeking a Qualified Keeper to work on our Mammals South section at London Zoo. The role will involve assisting keepers in the day to day husbandry of large and diverse Mammals (including lions, tigers, primates such as gorillas and colobus monkeys) within the zoological collection. The successful candidate will be expected to ensure high standards of animal welfare, animal husbandry and keep daily checks and records of animals within the birds section. Working hours are 37.5 per week, worked within a roster which includes regular weekends so flexibility regarding hours is crucial. Applicants must have a passion for working with a variety of animals within a Zoo environment and experience with birds is essential. Good communication skills and experience of dealing with the public is essential, together with the ability to work effectively within a team. The successful candidate will also be expected to:
• Observe the behaviour, health and security of animals and report any problems to the Team Leader or manager including defects or repairs required to enclosures and relevant departments required to support work needed.
• Assist with the preparation of approved diets and carrying out the correct feeding procedures.
• Cleaning and maintaining of exhibits and other designated areas.
The successful candidate will:
• Proven practical experience of animal management with a range of exotic species.
• Broad extensive taxonomic knowledge on a range of species managed within zoological collections.
• Willingness to work on evolving husbandry management within zoological collections to include positive re-enforcement training for behavioural management and varied methods of enrichment for a range of species.
• Knowledge of techniques used to handle specific animals should catch ups or veterinary procedures require this.
• Be able to demonstrate initiative and a pro-active approach to completing tasks beneficial to the section/department without always waiting to be asked.
• Have a qualification in a relevant field at university level and/or diploma in the DZMAA Keeper’s course or equivalent work experience.
• Be reliable and have good time-keeping and attendance record and able to demonstrate leadership and professionalism.
Please note: Flexible working is required for this position which will include working alternate weekends and bank holidays. Applicant must also be presentable, flexible in their approach and totally reliable.
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) and can do this by clicking the "Apply for this job online" button. If you have any queries regarding this position or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: Midnight Sunday 28th August 2016
Independent International Zoo Consultant