Senior Biodiversity Scientist
We are recruiting for a Senior Biodiversity Scientist
Location: Mutsamudu, Anjouan, Comoro Islands
Application deadline: 9th March 2017
Starting date: As soon as possible
Contract: 18 months with extension possible
Conditions: Salary from €1600 month (negotiable), one return flight per year, insurance cover
To apply: Please send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com
Who are we?
Founded in February 2013 following a five-year field programme, Dahari has quickly established itself as one of the leading NGOs in the Comoros with a multicultural team of 60. Dahari’s holistic intervention model includes agricultural and agroforestry development, forest management targeting water resources, ecological research, and biodiversity conservation initiatives based on a Payment for Ecosystem Services (PES) approach. The NGO also runs complementary ecotourism and marine resource management programmes. Our work is gaining increasing recognition, including through the technical support of globally recognised partners such as CIRAD, ICRAF, and IUCN, and the financial support of international funders such as the EU, CEPF, GEF-Satoyama, and the Darwin Initiative.
We invite you to visit our website www.daharicomores.org to find out more about Dahari. We are also on Facebook at www.facebook.com/daharicomores
Reporting to Dahari’s Directors and advised by researchers from our partners Bristol Zoological Society and the University of Oxford, you will support the team of Comorian ecological technicians to ensure:
• The management of a project funded by the Critical Ecosystem Partnership Fund, whose objectives are: field research and data analysis to identify threatened species and/ or indicators of natural forest, forest mapping, research on wood-use, organising a system of participatory monitoring of biodiversity and forests with local communities;
• Participation in and support to field activities: biodiversity research and monitoring projects and their evaluation;
• The development of future ecological research projects and the drafting of related funding dossiers including in-depth research on Pteropus livingstonii;
• Contribution to the strategy and development of Dahari’s natural resource management and biodiversity conservation activities;
• Strengthening the technical capacities of Comorian staff in collaboration with technical partners in Madagascar and more widely internationally;
• Publishing scientific papers based on the results of the work (Dahari’s work has recently been published in Oryx and Unasylva).
How to apply?
Interested applicants are invited to send their CV and cover letter to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org Queries about the post ahead of submission are welcome.
Independent International Zoo Consultant