Experienced Animal Keeper
New Forest Wildlife Park
Position: Animal Keeper (Full-time / Permanent)
Salary: (dependant on experience)
New Forest Wildlife Park is an established and expanding family run business. New Forest Wildlife Park is one of three BIAZA accredited zoos within our company. We endeavor to attain the highest standards of animal husbandry, conservation and education. Our mission is to promote and achieve the global conservation of animals and their habitats through education and interaction with the general public.
To this end our three centers’ hold an important and diverse range of species. New Forest Wildlife Park promotes both U.K. and European native species. Focusing on both extant and extinct species. In addition, some important exotic species.
Overview of Role:
We are seeking an experienced Animal Keeper to work with this wide range of species within our collection. The successful candidate will be expected to maintain high
standards of animal welfare and husbandry. To be able to keep daily checks and records of animals within all sections.
Working hours are 40hrs per week on roster including regular weekends and Bank Holidays. A flexible approach to working hours is necessary.
The role is physically demanding. As our site is mainly outdoors the successful candidate must enjoy working in all weather conditions both independently and part of the team.
Applicants should have a passion for working with a variety of animals within a Zoo environment. Any experience with native species and their wildlife rehabilitation would be an advantage. Excellent communication skills and customer service is essential in this role.
A minimum of three year’s paid employment within a zoological related position required.
• Assisting with the cleaning of all areas within the zoo.
• Assisting with enclosure/paddock servicing, maintenance and refurbishment.
• Assisting with the preparation of approved diets, nutrition and enrichment.
• Assisting under instruction/supervision the carrying out of correct feeding procedures where this is deemed appropriate by the Animal Manager.
• Ensuring that safety and emergency procedures are followed at all times.
• Assisting where appropriate with the movement and/or training of animals, “Meet the Animals” etc. as directed by senior staff.
• Maintaining courteous and helpful relations with visitors.
• Reporting defects and repairs required to the Animal Manager or more senior staff.
• Assisting in various projects related to animal management as directed by senior animal management staff.
• Practical experience of animal management with a range of domestic and exotic species in a zoological setting is a requirement.
• Broad taxonomic knowledge on a range of species managed within zoological collections. Particular advantage would be carnivore/mustelid, native wildlife and strigiform husbandry.
• Willingness to work and learn about evolving husbandry management within zoological collections. Including positive re-enforcement training for behavioral management and methods of enrichment for a range of species.
• Knowledge of techniques in handling and restraining animals for movements and veterinary procedures.
• Be able to demonstrate initiative and a pro-active approach to completing tasks beneficial to the section/department without always waiting to be asked.
- Keeper experiences are an essential part of our business. An ability to share knowledge and ensure all our visitors have a positive experience during their visit.
- A full clean driving licence is required.
- Accommodation will not be provided on site.
- Public transport is not available must have own means of transport.
- No telephone or Skype interviews. Interviews will be held at the New Forest Wildlife Park.
Applicants will need to upload their CV, application form and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including
details of availability), to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: Midnight, Monday 27th March 2017
Independent International Zoo Consultant