Senior Animal Keeper
Position: Senior Animal Keeper (Full-time / Permanent)
Salary: £29,472 (Inclusive of London Weighting and Weekend Enhancement)
Location: ZSL London Zoo – NW1
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
Overview of Role:
An opening has arisen for a Senior Animal Keeper in one of our mammals sections at ZSL London Zoo. The role will also involve the day to day husbandry of a large and diverse collection of species, focussing on animal welfare, exhibit design, security, record keeping and ensuring that exhibits are maintained to the highest standards.
The successful candidate will also be expected to:
· Observe the behaviour, health and security of animals and report any problems to the Team Leader or manager including defects or repairs required to enclosures and relevant departments required to support work needed.
· Assist with the preparation of approved diets and carrying out the correct feeding procedures.
· Cleaning and maintaining of exhibits and other designated areas.
The successful candidate will:
· Be able to demonstrate an in depth knowledge of current husbandry practices. We are looking for proven experience in the successful husbandry of both mammals and primates.
· Have experience in other zoos, private collections, museums, aquariums, universities, and in the field.
· Have a logical, precise and scientific approach to animal keeping is required and the successful candidate will understand the conservation, research and educational role of ex situ animal populations.
· Able to use Microsoft software including Outlook, Excel and Word.
· Have a qualification in a relevant field at university level and/or diploma in the DZMAA Keeper’s course or equivalent work experience.
· Be reliable and have good time-keeping and attendance record and able to demonstrate leadership and professionalism.
Please note: Good communication skills and experience of dealing with the public is essential, together with the ability to work effectively within a team and mentor, train and inspire junior members of staff. Hours are 37.5 per week, worked within a roster which includes weekends.
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) and can do this by clicking the "Apply for this job online" button. If you have any queries regarding this position or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date for Applications: Midnight Sunday 19th March 2017
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.
Independent International Zoo Consultant