Dartmoor Zoo are looking to take on a Senior Keeper within the Animal Department, who will be an experienced, enthusiastic and highly motivated individual.
Their duties will be to assist the Animal Management Team in the running of the Animal Department to ensure the welfare and husbandry of the animals. You will be accountable to the Head Keeper and Curator, and will assist in overseeing a team of Keepers, Trainee Keepers, placement students and volunteers. You will be a good team worker, able to motivate others, as well as show initiative and have a positive outlook. You will be responsible for control of food stocks and other supplies, and share record keeping (including use of ZIMS) and co-ordination of the internship and volunteer programme for the department. You will be working out in the zoo most the time and office based for ~1hr+ a day.
Dartmoor Zoo is home to a large collection of carnivores and a growing number of hoofstock, small mammal and bird species. As Senior Keeper you will work regularly on all rounds and play an integral role in training and enrichment, in addition to maintaining animal enclosures. On occasion you will take charge in the event that a Senior Manager is unavailable. You will be required to communicate with outside agencies, such as the Vet, and be prepared to assist in veterinary, or any other procedures, when necessary.
The successful candidate will have:
· A minimum of six years employed experience within a zoo environment
· Passed the DMZAA or equivalent course
· Experience of working with large category 1 mammals
· Excellent communication skills
· An up-to-date knowledge of current practices in animal husbandry and welfare
· The ability to keep calm in stressful situations
· Good IT skills with a knowledge of record keeping, and be able to use, or willing to learn, ZIMS
· A basic understanding of D.I.Y.
· The ability to handle and manage animals during certain procedures
· A full U.K driving licence due to location
· A willingness to represent DZP at conferences when required
You will be required to work Bank Holidays, weekends and other specified days if the zoo is hosting special events. Some evening work may be required too. Two fixed days off per week. Salary dependent on experience. Previous applicants need not apply.
Please complete the application form and e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or Miss Hannah Webb, Head Keeper, Dartmoor Zoological Park, Sparkwell, Plymouth. PL7 5DG by Friday 7th April.
Only those shortlisted for interview will be contacted, and interviews will take place soon after
Independent International Zoo Consultant