Large Carnivore Keeper
The Zoological Society of Hertfordshire (ZSH) (registered charity no.1108609) currently has a vacancy for an experienced keeper to join our animal park team at Paradise Wildlife Park.
All our zoo keepers are involved in a full range of husbandry duties including general enclosure cleaning, food provisions, husbandry training, and enrichment programmes.
The position advertised will be working on our large carnivore section. PWP’s large carnivore section is responsible for the husbandry of 7 species, including multiple EEP species. The section is made up of tigers, lions, jaguars, snow leopards, cheetah, ocelot and wolves.
The successful applicant will also be actively involved in the mixed taxa shows on the zoo, where they will be trained in positive reinforcement techniques for species to demonstrate natural behaviours in public displays. The applicant will be responsible for delivering interactive animal experiences such as ‘Feed a Big cat’, keeper talks and tours.
Paradise Wildlife Park has a team of volunteers and interns that the applicant will support and supervise. The applicant must be very personable and able to communicate well with visitors and staff.
• Full time; Permanent position
• Reports to; Section Leaders & Head keepers
• Hours; Summer 8am-6pm, Winter 8am – 5pm. Includes weekend and bank holiday work on a flexible rotated basis (1 in 3 weekends off). Flexibility is necessary in this post
Primary Duties and Responsibilities include:
• Carrying out and enforcing high standards of welfare and animal husbandry routines e.g. food prep, feeding, cleaning, enrichment provision etc. set by Section Leaders on sections allocated to
• Undertake and record animal observations
• Deliver high standards of visitor interaction in the form of; keeper talks, animal shows, encounters, experiences, tours and education events
• Overseeing work experience, volunteers and interns
• Liaise and assist in general duties and requirements as directed by senior management
• Other duties to support effective and efficient site maintenance may include: Fire Marshall, First Aider, Company vehicle driver, including tractor trailer, rubbish removal and general cleaning in order to maintain high standards (nb - full training will be a given prior to the post holder being required to undertake new tasks)
• An animal science related qualification
• 2 years experience in a zoological collection
• Excellent communication skills
• Adaptable for a flexible rota
• Physically fit for the demands of this role
• Full UK driving licence
If you would like the opportunity to join our expanding and proactive team please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com
This opening will close once a suitable candidate has been selected so please send applications as soon as possible.
Independent International Zoo Consultant