THIS POST IS NOW FILLED
Deputy Team Leader - Great Apes
Based in the heart of England, Twycross Zoo (TZ) is an award-winning conservation charity and rapidly growing visitor attraction. The Zoo is committed to supporting global welfare and conservation efforts in the captive breeding of endangered species whilst supporting projects from many different countries around the world, including Ape Action Africa, Lola Ya Bonobo and the FFI Cao Vit Gibbon Project.
In 2014, the Zoo launched its 20-year, £55million Masterplan. Since this time, new habitats which have opened to the public include Giraffe Savannah and Gibbon Forest. Recently TZ have opened a £3.5 million new world-class chimpanzee habitat, Chimpanzee Eden, and are looking forward to building on this continued growth and success. As part of the Zoo’s Masterplan development programme, other investments have also included new habitats and renovations such as Lorikeet Landing, a Lemur walk-through and Butterfly Forest, all of which offer visitors an immersive and inspiring experience with the animals.
At TZ you’ll be part of an evolving and progressive organisation, with staff engagement at its very core by ensuring inclusion through superb communication. TZ offers a diverse range of roles and is committed to the fundamental approach of equal opportunities in employment. The Zoo’s team strives to educate and inspire everyone to care about, and therefore contribute to saving, the other species with which we share our planet.
With a dedicated and enthusiastic team of colleagues at its heart, the Zoo aims to become a recognised “Centre of Excellence” that continues to make a significant contribution to the welfare and conservation of animals, especially primates, by being at the heart of conservation.
What will this role of Deputy Team Leader - Great Apes entail?
Working in the only zoo in the UK to accommodate all four Great Apes, you’ll take a hands-on approach to working with all four species, mostly in a breeding situation. You will lead a medium sized team and supervise all areas of daily animal operations, with duties to include but not be limited to:
• Managing all areas of animal husbandry
• Reviewing diets and ensuring the correct diets are prepared and distributed
• Leading and supervising introductions of new animals into social groups
• Monitoring pregnancies and births
• Liaising with the on-site veterinary team to ensure optimal health of all animals
• Checking and ensuring enclosure structure security, reporting any concerns immediately
In addition to the above, you will also:
• Manage and supervise a team of up to 12 keepers alongside other Deputy Team Leaders on a daily basis
• Assist the Team Leader with the training and development of Great Apes keepers, including conducting 121’s, performance reviews and suggest performance improvements
• Participate in on-site research projects (mostly behavioural, cognitive and welfare studies)
• Supervise and encourage work experience students and apprentices
• Engage with visitors and answer enquiries
What will I need to be considered for this Deputy Team Leader - Great Apes vacancy?
• Proven experience of zoological animal management, with a strong track record of working with Great Apes
• Demonstrable working knowledge of the natural history and management of large mammals
• An animal related qualification, i.e. ANCMZA or DZMAA
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Good team player with a positive and enthusiastic outlook
• Ability to adapt to change
• Good IT literacy with working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
What will I receive in return?
You will be employed on a permanent contract, working 43 hours per week on a rota system, which will include weekend duties. You will receive a salary of £21,500 and benefit from; 31 days holiday including time off in lieu of bank holidays, a uniform, along with the benefit of a staff membership card, giving you free entry to the Zoo on your days off and discounts in our retail and food outlets. Free onsite parking.
Location: Atherstone, Warwickshire (on the A444, which is easily accessed via the A5 and the M42 Junction 11).
To apply for this position, please send an up to date CV to email@example.com, with the subject of the email stating ‘Deputy Team Leader - 2369’.
Independent International Zoo Consultant