Animal Care Manager
Wellington Zoo is on a journey to ignite a zoo revolution. We like to punch above our weight and following a realignment of our Animal Care Team we are excited to be recruiting to the newly established role of Animal Care Manager. The ability to think strategically and holistically with respect to the delivery of zoo based outcomes is a critical requirement for this role. This is a permanent full time role reporting directly to the General Manager Animal Care.
The role is responsible for overall leadership and effective management of the four husbandry sections in our Animal Care Team, and ensuring that we lead the way with the highest standards of husbandry skills, animal welfare outcomes, species management planning and innovative habitat design for the animals in our care. The role will play a critical role in managing the training and ongoing professional development of Animal Care Team Leaders and Keeping staff, in leading initiatives and experiences that inspire our visitors, and supporting the Zoo’s strategic priorities
The successful applicant will have:
· Tertiary or other relevant qualification in biology, animal behaviour or a
related field, combined with a minimum of six years’ relevant experience.
· Comprehensive knowledge of zoo based strategies and policies and
procedures with combined with extensive experience in animal husbandry,
· Demonstrated experience in species management and habitat design and
· Sound knowledge of the Five Domains of Animal Welfare.
· Research and project management skills and the ability to solve problems and
embrace new and innovative techniques, technologies and ways of doing
· Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills, with proven
ability to develop effective working relationships and lead and develop staff
in a multi-disciplined team.
To apply for this opportunity you must have the legal right to work in New Zealand.
To view the job description and apply online please visit our website –
Applications close: 15th May 2016