Kamo Wildlife Sanctuary
Kamo Wildlife Sanctuary is a privately owned and operated facility located in rural Whangarei, New Zealand. We require a dedicated zookeeper to join our team to provide for the health and welfare of our collection of 27 cats - lions, tigers, cheetah and leopard. This is a unique opportunity to be involved in the largest single collection of big cats in Australasia.
The successful candidate will be passionate about wildlife, particularly big cats, and will be highly responsible, reliable, safety conscious and have a can-do attitude. You will work as part of a small, highly efficient and passionate team of keepers. Your excellent observation and communication skills will be key to ensuring the effectiveness of the keeper team. We offer the opportunity to make a direct and positive impact on the cats' lives.
Reporting directly to the Head Keeper, duties & responsibilities include:
• Team-based animal husbandry routines following set protocols.
• Environmental enrichment as instructed.
• Diet preparation and dedication to expanding field nutritional knowledge.
• Protected contact animal training. We do not enter any occupied animal enclosures.
• Administer animal medications.
• Maintain health and safety procedures.
• Firearms handling.
Qualifications & Skills:
• Qualification in animal sciences/husbandry.
• Demonstrate previous animal management and welfare experience.
• Good understanding of field-specific exhibit requirements.
• Ability to form an understanding of cat behaviour and establish good relationships with the cats.
• Handle large volumes of raw meat.
• Physically fit and healthy; prepared for some heavy lifting and to use machinery.
• Work unsupervised and as part of a team.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Reliable, punctual and dedicated attitude.
• Available for weekend work.
• Willing to work outdoors in any weather.
• Comfortable working with red deer.
• Prepared to qualify as a firearms handler.
• New Zealand resident or have a valid New Zealand work visa.
• Clean, full NZ driver licence (or the ability to qualify for same).
• Experience working in a paid position with big cats.
• Animal training skills and experience.
• Firearms licence.
• First aid certificate.
Please apply with CV and covering letter (including relevant references) via Seek.
Overseas and local NZ applications welcome.
Successful applicants will be contacted for an initial telephone or Skype interview, followed by an on-site interview and 2-day practical trial.
To apply click HERE