Turtle Captive Officer (full time)
Affiliation: The Asian Turtle Program of Indo-Myanmar Conservation (IMC)
Location: Cuc Phuong National Park, Ninh Binh, Viet Nam
Report to: Training & rescue coordinator
Application deadline: 20th June 2016
The Asian Turtle Program (ATP) of Indo-Myanmar Conservation (IMC) was established in 1998 where it developed from the Turtle Conservation Centre (TCC) in Cuc Phuong National Park. Initially the ATP was established to allow fieldwork, surveys, training and awareness activities to be undertaken for tortoise and freshwater turtles in the Asia region, with a focus on Vietnam. Since 2003 the program has had strong links with the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo/Cleveland Zoological Society's Asia regional program. In 2015 ATP was incorporated into IMC, a UK based NGO.
The aim of ATP is to establish a safe and sustainable future for Asian turtles, and to ensure that no further turtle species become extinct in the region. In Vietnam, we are working closely with the Turtle Conservation Centre (TCC) of Cuc Phuong National Park to rescue and rehabilitate animals from the trade and to establish and maintain viable population of prioritized and threatened tortoises and fresh-water turtle species.
Scope of works:
The Turtle Captive Officer will support on rescuing new arrivals turtles in the Quarantine area, improvement for animals in TCC under guidance of ATP/IMC. This position also works closely with Training and Rescue Coordinator from ATP/IMC and TCC Manager as well as International Captive Manager with the Cuc Phuong National Park Management Board.
- Monitor turtles and activities in Quarantine area at TCC
- Work closely with TCC staffs to implement daily and weekly tasks such as basic treatment and care for turtle in quarantine area
- Be responsible for managing equipment and supplies for Quarantine area
- Complete record for animals received from the trade and hatchlings at the center.
- Support the maintenance of the main population of animals at the TCC, help coordinate development and improvement decisions made by the TCC management and technical advisor team.
- Assist Training and Rescue Coordinator and TCC Manager to undertake activities and complete report updates.
- Assist International technical advisors in translation from English to Vietnamese and vice versa
- Other tasks when required
- University degree in veterinary, forestry, fisheries, biology, or related fields
- One year or more work experience
- Passionate about wildlife conservation and animal welfare
- Competent in computers, words, excel, PowerPoint and Email
- Good Vietnamese and English skills.
- Strong communication skills and an ability to work with local communities and local government officials.
- Some veterinary experiences are desirable
Contract Duration: the contract will be for one-year with the possibility of extension depending on performance and funding availability
Interested applicants should send their cover letter, CV, and supporting documents to:
Hoang Van Ha – Vietnam Turtle Program Coordinator
Indo-Myanmar Conservation’s Asian Turtle Program: Room#1806, 18th Floor, CT1 Bac Ha C14 Building
To Huu Road, Nam Tu Liem District, Ha Noi
Tel: +84-4-7302 8389
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.