PEAK WILDLIFE PARK HEAD KEEPER
Peak Wildlife Park is looking to recruit an experienced Head animal keeper.
The successful applicant will be expected to lead a small team of staff and oversee the day to day management of a growing animal collection, ensuring the highest standards of animal care and welfare at all times.
With some new and exciting developments planned over the next few years the Head keeper will be expected to be involved in all aspects of these projects including enclosure design, collection planning, health and safety, working protocols and day to day operations. This is a supervisory role and there will be some office time and administrative work required.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
• Ensure the highest standards of animal husbandry and welfare at all times including implementing training and enrichment programmes, monitoring health, researching nutritional needs and excellent enclosure presentation.
• Liaise with the veterinary team as and when needed and administer medication when appropriate in the absence of an on-site vet.
• Supervise staff in the absence of the Head keeper which will include managing rotas and holidays, training new and existing staff to the required standards, organising working protocols and procedures and providing feedback on performance.
• Assist in the management and implementation of all aspects of Health and Safety including working protocols, risk assessments and manual handling.
• Assist in providing Firearms cover as and when needed; full training will be provided if required.
• Ensure the highest of standards of visitor experience through exceptional customer services and care.
The successful candidate will need to have worked in a Zoo environment for at least 5 years, have a Diploma in the Management of Zoo animals and Aquaria (DMZAA) or an equivalent qualification and have some previous experience supervising staff.
With the planned construction of a new big cat facility in the near future, experience working with big cats is essential to this position. The candidate should be able to demonstrate excellent safe working practices with big cats and have knowledge of all aspects of their care and husbandry.
A full driving licence is essential and candidates should also be in the possession of a Firearms licence or at least in a position to apply for one. The successful applicant will be computer literate with an excellent understanding of the Microsoft Office package and working knowledge of ZIMS would be desirable.
Working hours vary dependent on time of year with longer shifts during the summer period and shorter days throughout winter. Staff are salaried so monthly wages are not affected by varying hours. Salary will be dependent on experience and will include other company benefits.
To apply send or email an up to date CV and a covering letter outlining your suitability to this position to: The Director - Peak Wildlife Park firstname.lastname@example.org Closing date for this position is: 30th June 2016