New Forest Wildlife Park
(Full-time / Permanent)
Salary: (dependent on experience)
The New Forest Wildlife Park is a well established and expanding family business. It is one of three collections in the partnership all of which are BIAZA accredited zoos. We strive for the highest standards in animal husbandry, wildlife rehabilitation and education. Our mission is to promote and help worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats.
The New Forest Wildlife Park promotes and champions European native wildlife heritage so inspiring people of all ages to understand and promote conservation.
Overview of Role:
NFWP is seeking an Animal Keeper capable of working with a diverse range of species at our 25 acres of ancient New Forest woodland.
The successful candidate will be expected to maintain high standards of animal welfare and husbandry. Able to keep daily checks and records of animals in their care. The applicant must be engaging and approachable to visitors of any age. Capable of working as part of a team or completing tasks alone.
Working hours are 40hrs per week roster based including regular weekends and Bank Holidays. A flexible approach to working hours is important. The role is physically demanding and our site is mainly outdoors therefore working outside in all weathers is part of the job.
Applicants will have a passion and understanding for working with a variety of animals within a zoo environment. Experience with native species is an advantage. Good communication skills and positive interaction with the public are very important. A minimum of one year’s experience within a zoological or animal related position required.
• Assisting as instructed with the cleaning of any designated areas around the park.
• Assisting as instructed with enclosure/paddock servicing.
• Assisting under instruction with the preparation of approved diets.
• Assisting under instruction/supervision, the carrying out of correct feeding procedures where this is deemed appropriate by the Animal Manager.
• Ensuring that safety and emergency procedures are followed at all times.
• Assisting where appropriate with the movement and/or training of animals, “Meet the Animals” etc. as directed by senior staff. As well as engaging proactively in our keeper talks.
• Maintaining courteous and helpful relations with visitors.
• Reporting defects and repairs required to the Animal Manager or more senior staff.
• Assisting in various projects related to animal management as directed by senior animal management staff.
• Practical experience of animal management with a range of native and exotic species.
• Broad taxonomic knowledge on a range of species managed within zoological collections.
• Willingness to work on and learn about evolving husbandry management within zoological collections to include positive re-enforcement training for behavioural management and varied methods of enrichment for a range of species.
• Knowledge of techniques used to handle specific animals should catch ups or veterinary procedures require this.
• Be able to demonstrate initiative and a pro-active approach to completing tasks beneficial to the section/ department without always waiting to be asked.
• We undertake some wildlife rehabilitation with native species, so experience in this field would be advantageous.
• A full clean driving licence is required.
• Accommodation will not be provided on site.
• No public transport is available to the New Forest Wildlife Park
• All interviews will be held at the park.
Applicants will need to upload their CV, application form and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) to: email@example.com
Closing Date: Midnight Monday 4th July 2016.