Senior Animal Keeper : Great Apes
(Temporary – likely to last 9 months)
Twycross Zoo is at a very exciting stage of development with the first phase of a 20 year masterplan already underway. The plan will see the zoo developing new habitats for a refreshed animal collection starting with Gibbon Forest in 2016.
We currently have a vacancy for an Animal Keeper to work on our Great Apes section. This area manages all four species of great ape: gorilla, chimpanzee, orangutan and bonobo.
· A hands-on role, working on the section and covering all areas of daily animal husbandry including feeding, cleaning, training and record keeping
· Interacting with visitors to the zoo
· Assisting with the supervision and training of staff
Key Skills & Requirements
· A high performing, enthusiastic individual with a proven track record in zoo animal
· Minimum of 4 years’ experience as a keeper
· Able to demonstrate a substantial working knowledge of the natural history and
management of key species
· A good team worker with a positive outlook
· Excellent communication skills
· Committed to continued professional development of yourself and other staff
· Supervisory experience advantageous
· An animal related qualification such as ANCMZA or DZMAA
The role is temporary expected to last 9 months to cover maternity leave. The role is a full time position (working on average 5 days out of 7) and includes weekend duties on a rota system. Salary is paid monthly with and 31 days paid holiday per annum (pro-rata). Uniform is also provided
Please apply on-line by sending your CV with a covering letter to email@example.com
This vacancy will close as soon as sufficient applications have been received, therefore you should submit your application as soon as possible.
Independent International Zoo Consultant