Deputy Section Leader (Birds)
Paradise Wildlife Park currently has a vacancy for an experienced keeper to join our team as a Deputy Section Leader on our Bird section.
Applicants must have experience with the husbandry and management of a wide variety of species due to our current and expanding section. This includes psittacines, raptors and a breeding colony of African penguins, amongst others.
Our bird section is primarily focused on training and shows therefore experience in these areas is more important to this particular role than incubation and rearing techniques.
The bird section is responsible for 2 free flight bird shows daily (1 in winter), along with flying birds in the animal park’s mixed taxa shows. Experience in presenting shows and delivering keeper talks is essential, as is experience of training and maintaining birds in free flight shows using positive reinforcement.
The successful applicant will be happy to follow protocols set by the Section Leader and Senior Keeper team, and enjoy working as part of a team. The Deputy Section Leader will support the Section Leader in managing our small team, including variable volunteers and interns.
This is a hands on role on a busy section with lots of public interaction, therefore the applicant must be very personable and able to communicate well with visitors and staff.
This is an exciting time to join our bird team as we move into our peak season and have plans for future section development.
- Full time; Permanent position
- Reports to; Section Leaders & Head keepers
- Hours; Summer 8am-6pm, Winter 8am – 5pm. Includes weekend and bank holiday work on a flexible rotated basis. Flexibility in working hours is essential due to the nature of the job.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Carrying out and enforcing high standards of welfare and animal husbandry routines set by the Section Leader and Head Keepers.
- Deliver high standards of visitor interaction in the form of; keeper talks, animal shows, encounters, experiences, tours and education events
- Overseeing and developing junior keepers, interns, volunteers and work experience
- Liaise and assist in general duties and requirements as directed by senior management
- Undertake and record animal observations
- Other duties to support effective and efficient site maintenance may include: Fire Marshall, First Aider, Company vehicle driver (including tractor trailer), Litter picking/rubbish removal/sweeping and general cleaning in order to maintain high standards (nb - full training will be a given prior to the post holder being required to undertake new tasks)
- An animal science related qualification
- Minimum 2 years full-time experience in a zoological collection
- Excellent communication skills
- Hard working, conscientious and uphold high standards of animal husbandry and welfare
- Ready to assist with other areas of the park, including talks, general maintenance and upkeep of public areas
- Adaptable for a flexible rota
- Physically fit for the demands of this role
- Free flight bird and presentation experience
- Full UK driving licence
If you would like the opportunity to join our team please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com
This opening will close once a suitable candidate has been selected so please send applications as soon as possible.
Independent International Zoo Consultant