Full time senior / head keeper
Zoo2U are looking for a confident, passionate and experienced animal keeper to join our small but growing friendly company/team.
Zoo2U is a family run business based in Crewe, Cheshire, with a heart for outreach into the local community. Our mission is to ‘Interact, Educate and Inspire’ with all those we come into contact with.
Zoo2U has hand-picked a unique collection of exotic animals, which in turn create a varied adaptable team suitable for all occasions. The animals are all friendly and are comfortable interacting with humans, which means that Zoo2U can offer a unique hands-on animal encounter. Zoo2U offers close encounters with exotic animals and tailor their experiences to meet educational school curriculum requirements, while offering kids clubs, children’s parties, fairs and fetes, therapy for special needs and even corporate events!
Using a ‘hands on approach’, you will oversee the day to day running of the animal collection, becoming a role model to staff through demonstrated behaviours. You will ensure best practice and compliance with health and safety regulations. You will always strive to improve zoo management standards. You will have a minimum of 2 years working within the zoo industry, ideally with practical knowledge of reptiles, birds and mammals. You will be expected to give public talks and have some proven people management skills, experience with budget control and record keeping.
You will be hard working, physically fit, enthusiastic and reliable. You will be a good timekeeper and have a keen eye for detail. You will already put animal welfare at the centre of everything you do.
You will be required to be a team player and lead by example with the small (but growing) team, where you will manage all those involved with animal keeping duties. However, you may also find yourself working alone on some days.
You will be required to expand the services offered by Zoo2U, through suggesting new idea's and working closely with the management team to ensure the ideas become a reality.
This position would suit someone who is keen to advance their career, with a progression into a head keeper role.
- Daily animal husbandry
- Maintenance of animal enclosures/public areas
- Management of keeping staff/volunteers/work experience students
- Public presentations at a variety of outreach events and therapy sessions
- Liaising with veterinarians
- Monitoring animal health and implementing preventative treatment programs
- Relevant qualification(s)
- Public speaking skills
- People management skills
- Clean driving license
- Knowledge of manual record keeping
- Minimum 2 years’ industry experience, ideally with:
- Practical knowledge/experience of husbandry techniques for a variety of Reptiles, including lizards, tortoises, non-venomous snakes
- Practical knowledge/experience of husbandry techniques for a variety of birds, including parrots, raptors, kingfisher
- Practical knowledge/experience of husbandry techniques for a variety of mammals, including hedgehogs, tenrecs, skunks, meerkats
- Budget control experience
- Teaching qualifications
- First aider
- Current CRB/DBS
- Falconry experience
Please apply in writing enclosing a full CV to email@example.com
22nd July 2016
Job Type: Full-time
- Zoo Keeping: 2 years
Required licence or certification:
- Driving License
Independent International Zoo Consultant