Section Head of Hoofstock
Situated near Hythe in Kent, Port Lympne Reserve works in conjunction with The Aspinall Foundation; a charity committed to protecting rare and endangered animals from extinction through captive breeding and reintroduction programmes.
The section comprises various ungulate species – Malayan tapir, bongo, Visayan warty pigs, European bison, waterbuck, water buffalo and takin among others. The section is involved in reintroduction initiatives for a number of these species. The current section head has represented the park at various relevant meetings both in Europe and internationally.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated individual to lead our team of dedicated hoofstock keepers at Port Lympne Reserve. The ideal candidate will have five or more years’ significant experience in a mainstream zoological collection, ideally in a similar position working with hoofstock. You should demonstrate an awareness of current conservation issues and a passion for animal welfare. The position will become vacant at the end of July 2016.
Essential requirements of the role:
- To oversee the daily running of the section and its 6 staff.
- Excellent husbandry skills and standards.
- To contribute to future collection planning and enclosure design.
- A good understanding of health and safety requirements for a modern zoological collection.
- The ability to supervise staff and ensure that the section is maintained to the highest standards.
- To produce a budget for the section and monitor expenditure.
- The ability to adapt to changing priorities and situations calmly and efficiently.
- Excellent organisational and communication skills and report writing.
- To lead the section by example with a proactive attitude.
- A full, valid driving licence.
- Experience driving farm machinery.
- Maintenance and machinery skills.
- IT literate.
Working 5 days a week, including weekends and bank holidays, the successful candidate will have a genuinely flexible approach to working hours. Single person accommodation may be available. All applicants must have right to work in the UK.
To apply: please email a CV along with a full covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the role directly to Jasmine Ash email@example.com
Or post to: Human Resources, Port Lympne Wild Reserve, Lympne, Hythe, Kent, CT21 4PD
Closing date: Friday 22nd July 2016 or sooner if a suitable