Deputy Section Head: Elephants
Twycross Zoo is currently going through an exciting period of change as the zoo develops and we are looking for dynamic, knowledgeable individuals to help lead the teams forward.
The elephants section comprises a herd of 5 Asian elephants, which includes two mother/daughter pairings, ranging in age from 9 months to 28 years old. A new grass paddock and raised visitor walkway with viewing area was completed this summer to complement the large sand paddock and pool.
· A hands-on role, working on the section
· Supervising all areas of daily animal husbandry
· Developing, supervising and training staff
· Taking administrative responsibility, alongside other senior staff within the Large Mammals section
Key Skills & Requirements
· High performing and enthusiastic
· Proven track record of working with elephants in a protected contact system
· Good experience of elephant foot care
· Minimum of 8 years’ experience preferred
· Able to demonstrate good working knowledge of the natural history and management of elephants
· Good team worker with positive outlook
· Excellent communication skills
· Committed to continued professional development of yourself and other staff
· An animal related qualification such as ANCMZA or DZMAA
This is a full time position, including weekend duties on a rota system. Salary is paid monthly and we provide uniform, 31 days holiday, 5% employer’s pension contribution.
Please apply on-line by sending your CV with a covering letter to email@example.com, detailing your salary expectations and notice period.
Closing date for applications: 12th February 2015