Blue Macaw Captive Coordinator/Head of Birds
At Al Wabra Wildlife Preservation
Al Wabra Wildlife Preservation (AWWP) is located in Al Shahaniya, State of Qatar. It is a breeding centre for highly endangered animals and not opened to the public. Currently it houses about 2.000 animals of 87 different species, some of them are very rare or endangered like blue macaws, black cockatoos, and birds-of-paradise, Gerenuk, Red-fronted, Speke’s Gazelles, Sand cats and Cheetahs. An international team of veterinarians, curators, biologists and keepers (around 50 staff) runs the animal portion of the preservation.
Job Description for the position as a Blue Macaw Co-ordinator:
Ø Daily “hands-on” management of all the Spix’s, Lear’s and Hyacinth Macaws including feeding/food preparation and hygiene management. Daily observation of behaviour and health status, written documentation and reporting to the director.
Ø Enclosure maintenance, monitor; construction-work, surveillance cameras, prepare cages and nest boxes routinely.
Ø Egg management, monitor artificial incubation, assist hatching and hand-rearing of Blue Macaw chicks.
Ø Contribute to guidelines, protocols and proposals for procedures, schedules and action plans.
Ø Organize the daily routines and personnel on the section including work and feeding schedules.
Ø Seasonally flexible working hours (feeding chicks around the clock if necessary).
Ø Collect data on the birds, and fill in data to computer programs.
Ø Research on the blue macaws is crucial, and a forward scientific thinker is needed for the job.
Applicants for the position must fulfil the following requirements:
- Have a high interest in nature and wildlife especially birds
- A scientific background is important an MSc or PhD in a relevant Zoology/Biology field would help
- Significant experience with keeping and rearing parrots, especially Macaws
- Exceptional experience in incubation and hand-rearing of Macaws
- Assist hatching experience crucial for this position
- Basic computer skill, Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Oral and written English skills
- Ability to work with a highly motivated team, as well as to work independently
- Patient and sensitive to the animal’s needs
- Flexibility and good organizational skills
- Driving licence
To ascertain the suitability of your qualification and background, please answer the following questions, it’s not necessary to provide a positive answer always:
1. Describe your previous work experience. What benefits or skills have you gained or problems you have had? also in non bird related jobs.
2. Describe your experiences with parrots, including how long and which species you’ve worked with.
3. Have you ever worked with brooders or incubators? When would you remove eggs for incubation?
4. Have you assist hatched chicks if so how often, which species and success rate?
5. How do you describe your relation to nature and wildlife? Is it OK to keep animals in captivity? Why?
6. Are you experienced in handling sick birds? How do you determine if a bird is sick?
7. What characteristics do you have which should convince us to hire you?
8. Are you experienced in computer programs? If yes, in which programs?
9. Do you have experience in office works, especially record keeping?
10. What are your professional targets and what do you expect from working in Qatar?
11. How much salary would you expect? How much salary you get from your previous job?
Accommodation is free at the preservation, also electricity and water. 30 days holiday per year, with no additional options for regular leave abroad. One paid flight-ticket to “home-airport” each year. Working hours are flexible depending on the season. We will offer a two year contract with an initial probationary period. Salary and contract will be discussed after more applicant details are known.
Please submit your CV and your answers to the above questions. This position needs to be filled with a skilled person due to the importance of breeding success and reproductive research with these highly endangered rare bird species.
P.O. Box 44069, Al Wabra Wildlife Preservation, Doha, State of Qatar
Tel: +974 44718708 Fax: +974 44718707
Independent International Zoo Consultant