Job Opportunity - Orangutan Conservation
The Sumatran Orangutan Conservation Programme (SOCP) is looking for an experienced individual to supervise its specialist orangutan quarantine centre and orangutan reintroduction programme in northern Sumatra.
The position would suit a zookeeper/sanctuary manager/veterinarian wanting to make a genuine impact on orangutan conservation and welfare who is willing and able to start a new life in a new country and culture, as part of a dynamic and diverse team based in Medan, Indonesia.
If you think this exciting and challenging position is for you visit http://www.sumatranorangutan.org/jobs, to obtain Terms of Reference and details on how to apply. Closing date is 28th February 2017.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Position Title: SOCP Quarantine & Reintroduction Supervisor
Experience and Qualifications:
The successful applicant will have a proven background in animal care and management. Ideally, he/she will have several years’ experience as either a zookeeper, sanctuary manager or veterinarian. Experience living or working in a developing country would be an advantage, but is not a prerequisite.
The position will be based out of the SOCP’s main office in Medan, Sumatra, Indonesia, but with the majority of time spent at the SOCP Orangutan Quarantine Centre near Medan and the Jantho Reintroduction Centre in Aceh Province, dividing the focus of this time approximately 60/40. Extensive travel will be required between SOCP field activity sites and for meetings throughout Indonesia and elsewhere, as and when required. Time working in the SOCP office in Medan will also be necessary.
The SOCP Quarantine and Reintroduction Supervisor will report to and take direction from the SOCP Director, but will coordinate closely with all SOCP senior staff. The position will consult and coordinate especially closely with the SOCP orangutan quarantine and reintroduction on-site managers and the SOCP veterinary team regarding all activities related to management of the two facilities.
Primary goal of the position:
To ensure high standards of animal husbandry and welfare and maintain an efficient and effective working environment at all SOCP facilities dealing with captive and reintroduced orangutans.
The SOCP Quarantine and Reintroduction Supervisor will communicate with the veterinary team, and management teams of the Orangutan Quarantine Centre and Jantho Reintroduction Centre to supervise and assist them to ensure project implementation is on track, that required standards are met, that fundraising opportunities are not missed, and that project staff are efficient in their work and have all that they require to work effectively. The work will include supervising records and databases and communicating and reporting to partners and donors.
The SOCP Quarantine and Reintroduction Supervisor will be required to spend frequent lengthy periods at the Orangutan Quarantine Centre and Jantho Reintroduction Centre and maintain strong communication and coordination with all senior SOCP staff. The work will require considerable flexibility in terms of multitasking and time management.
Summary of tasks – relevant to both the Orangutan Quarantine and Jantho Reintroduction Centres :-
• Supervising day to day animal management at both locations and maintaining clean, hygienic, and well organized and maintained facilities
• Work closely with the SOCP veterinary team to optimise the health and welfare of all orangutans in the SOCP’s care
• Work closely with the SOCP management team to optimise post-release monitoring and welfare of reintroduced orangutans
• Supervising staff management and working with the on-site management teams to arrange work schedules, routines, goals and daily tasks, and evaluating performance
• Updating and streamlining all records keeping and database management related to the Quarantine and Jantho Centres
• Identifying problems as they arise and determining effective solutions
• Fundraising for the Orangutan Quarantine Centre and Jantho Reintroduction programme
• Communications relevant to both facilities, including reports to donors, correspondence and online media
• Coordinating and supervising visitors (donors, government personnel, media and film crews, etc.)
• Assisting the SOCP’s Orangutan Haven development team with the design, promotion, fundraising and implementation of the project (eventually also supervising animal husbandry at this location as well)
More detailed Terms of Reference will be supplied to selected applicants.
Salary and benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a letter via email to email@example.com explaining why you feel uniquely qualified for this position and why you would like to apply, outlining both your immediate and long-term career aspirations. Include a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae and the names and contact details of 3 referees (at least two should be employment/education related).
Closing date is 28th February 2017.
Independent International Zoo Consultant