LEAD KEEPER – RHINOS
Permanent - Full Time
We are Chester Zoo, and for over 80 years we’ve been a leading conservation and education charity, and an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction.
We’re also a team of passionate, talented, enthusiastic and expert people, doing everything we can to keep the zoo going, from feeding the animals to discovering new conservation ideas, and giving our 1.9 million visitors an inspirational day out.
We work hard because we love animals, we care about nature, we love Chester Zoo and we want to be the best zoo in the world!
If you think you can help us to achieve that, then we’d love to hear from you.
We currently have an exciting vacancy for a Lead Keeper to join our busy and diverse Rhino section.
As a Lead Keeper you will supervise students and volunteers, working alongside Keepers to undertake the daily animal care duties, focusing on husbandry and welfare. You will ensure that all exhibits are of an excellent standard for both animals and visitors alike, and provide outstanding customer care.
The role will also involve representing Chester Zoo and the Rhino team for media interviews and internal and external meetings, workshops and conferences in the UK and overseas.
The successful candidate will:
• Have a HND or degree level qualification in a zoological related science or equivalent experience
• Have extensive knowledge and expertise in animal husbandry and management with a focus on hoof stock
• Be open-minded to developing and implementing new ideas for improving husbandry and building strong working relationships with other departments to ensure high standards are met
• Be able to clearly demonstrate leadership qualities, being an enthusiastic and motivated team player
• Be able to organise and prioritise tasks in a dynamic environment and have good problem solving skills
• Have a good understanding of risk assessments to ensure all staff are fully aware of safety and management procedures
• Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Have a full driving licence valid in the UK
Competency in the use of computers and basic Microsoft Office software, including an understanding of ZIMS, would be advantageous for this role.
Hours of work are 40 hours per week, worked 10 days out of 14, including weekends and Bank Holidays as rostered.
Salary is £21,866.96 per annum for a 40 hour week and in addition we offer a range of amazing benefits which can be found at http://www.chesterzoo.org/footer/careers/working-at-chester-zoo.
To apply for this position, please provide your current CV and complete the application form highlighting your skills and experience including why you believe you should be considered for our Lead Keeper role to http://www.chesterzoo.org/footer/careers.
Closing date for applications is Friday 17th February 2017.
Independent International Zoo Consultant