Animal Encounters Officer
Job title: Animal Encounters Officer / Resource Technician (Animal Care)
Location Brooks Farm, E10 5BS
Salary £17,245 to £18,601 plus £1,791 London Weighting
Permanent, Full Time (weekend and 3 week days)
The post-holder is required to work weekends and is likely to be asked to work Monday- Wednesday, although flexibility to accommodate changing demands and circumstances is highly desirable, to include half-day and holiday cover.
Capel Manor College is London’s only Specialist College for land-based studies and an internationally renowned learning resource for all those interested in Horticulture, Animal Management, Saddlery, Arboriculture, Floristry, Garden Design, Countryside and the Environment.
We are currently looking for an Animal Encounters Officer / Resource Technician who will be providing day-to-day care for a wide range of animals kept by the College and Supporting and resourcing the teaching of animal care including maintaining practical facilities.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• The day-to-day routine care of the College’s animal stock in accordance with the animal welfare policy to include cleaning out of accommodation, provision of feed, water, bedding, nesting material, and daily health checks
• Supervising college student volunteers carrying out practical duties in animal areas at weekends
• Co-ordinating and supervising animal interactive sessions for the public at weekends
• Assisting academic staff within the School, supervising students and providing technical assistance and advice as required
• Completing records relating to routine animal care, reporting any abnormalities or problems to Line Manager as appropriate
• Ordering feed, bedding and other consumables for all centres as required in consultation with Line Manager. Storage, security and stock control of such consumables
• Ensuring high standards of hygiene and cleanliness in all animal areas and associated storage and service areas
• Ensuring that all requirements and regulations relating to health and safety are adhered to at all times
The successful candidate will be a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual with excellent interpersonal / communication skills, along with the ability to keep accurate records and follow rotas and working routines carefully and conscientiously.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Level 2 qualification or higher in an animal care discipline
• Experience of caring for a range of rodents, exotic animals, birds and farm-stock on a day-to-day basis
• Experience of working with the public, demonstrating good principles of “Customer Care”
• Knowledge of correct hygiene and cleaning procedures for Animal Unit and associated areas
• Awareness of Health and Safety issues with regard to own duties and the Animal Unit
What’s in it for you?
Capel Manor offers a unique working environment with a range of benefits including:
• Access to the Teachers’ Pension Scheme or LGPS (depending on job role)
• Employee assistance programme
• Superb staff development opportunities
This post is subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure and barring list check as it is within regulated activity due to the college being defined as a ‘specified place’. The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment.
Capel Manor College aims to employ a workforce which reflects the community it serves. Therefore applications from minority groups are welcomed. Where applicants indicate they have a disability and meet the essential criteria in the person specification, they will be short-listed for interview.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on www.capel.ac.uk/jobs.html and complete an online application form.
Closing date is 10th August 2017
Independent International Zoo Consultant