Experienced Keeper (Primates)
Paradise Wildlife Park
The Zoological Society of Hertfordshire (ZSH) (registered charity no.1108609) currently has a vacancy for an experienced keeper to join our primate team at Paradise Wildlife Park, Broxbourne.
Applicants must have experience with the husbandry and management of a variety of primate species. Experience with other species within a zoological collection is also desirable.
PWP’s primate section is responsible for the husbandry of many species, including multiple EEP species. The section includes, Squirrel Monkeys, White Cheek Gibbons, Lar Gibbons, several species of Lemur and Callitrichids, along with mixed exhibits including Two Toed Sloth and Three Banded Armadillo.
This is a hands-on role in a busy animal park with lots of public interaction. As such, the applicant must be highly personable and be able to communicate well with both visitors and staff.
The primate team are responsible for delivering interactive animal experiences such as ‘Feed the Lemurs’, keeper talks and tours. Our keeping team are also actively involved in the mixed taxa shows on the zoo, where keepers are trained in positive reinforcement techniques to allow species to demonstrate natural behaviours in public displays.
The successful applicant will support the Section Leader in the running of the section and will be part of a small team, which will include supervising variable volunteers and interns. The section does not currently have a deputy section leader so progression is accessible in this role.
This is an exciting time to join our team as we move into our peak season and have a continuance of plans for future developments at the park.
Full time: Permanent position.
Reports to: Section Leaders (Senior Keepers), Deputies & Head Keepers.
Hours: Summer 8am-6pm, Winter 8am–5pm. Includes weekend and bank holiday work on a flexible rotated basis. Flexibility in working days/hours is essential due to the nature of the job.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Carrying out and enforcing high standards of welfare and animal husbandry routines set by the Section Leader and Head Keepers.
- Assist the Section Leader in managing the section as well as developing and training, interns, volunteers and work experience.
- Delivering high standards of visitor interaction in the form of keeper talks, animal shows, encounters, experiences, tours and education events.
- Undertaking animal observations and accurate record keeping.
- Regularly maintaining and renovating exhibits to a high standard.
- Other duties to support effective and efficient site maintenance may include: Fire Marshall, First Aider, Company Vehicle Driver (including tractor trailer) (nb - full training will be a given prior to the post holder being required to undertake new tasks)
- An animal science related qualification; preferably DMZAA or level equivalent.
- 2 years full-time experience in a zoological collection including experience with a range of primates.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Hard working, conscientious and able to uphold high standards of animal husbandry and welfare at all times.
- Ready to assist with other areas of the park, including talks, general maintenance and upkeep of public areas.
- Physically fit for the demands of this role.
- Full UK driving licence.
- DIY & maintenance skills desirable.
- Experience of working with CAT1 taxa desirable.
Apply for this job:
If you would like the opportunity to join our proactive and expanding team, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: Jessie Boylan (email@example.com)
This opening will close once a suitable candidate has been selected so please send applications as soon as possible.
Closing date: 18/08/2017
Independent International Zoo Consultant