Seasonal animal keeper
ZSL - Whipsnade Zoo
Contract type: Full-time
(Seasonal Full Time / 3 Month Contract)
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
We are currently recruiting for a seasonal keeper position on our HUB section, which includes flying birds, park birds, sealions and farm section.
The Seasonal keeper position is varied, requiring high standards of differing day-to-day activities including cleaning of enclosures, preparation of food, maintaining exhibits and assisting with public demonstrations and training.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Have great customer service and communication skills as there will be a need to engage and interact with visitors
- Good basic knowledge of animal husbandry with exotic species, specifically domestic farm stock and breeding birds
- Basic understanding of training techniques
- Willingness to work on and learn about evolving husbandry management within zoological collections to include positive re-enforcement training for behavioural management and varied methods of enrichment for a range of species
- Be able to demonstrate initiative and a pro-active approach to completing tasks beneficial to the section/department without always waiting to be asked
N.B: Working hours are 37.5 per week, worked within a roster which includes regular weekends so flexibility regarding hours is crucial.
Salary: £281.63 (Weekly Salary)
Apply for this job:
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) and can do this by clicking here. If you have any queries regarding this position or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: Midnight Sunday 30 July 2017
Please note: Due to the high volume of applications received for our seasonal animal keeper positions we cannot provide specific feedback for those who have not been selected.
Independent International Zoo Consultant