Senior Animal Keeper: Great Apes
Twycross Zoo is an award winning zoo and visitor attraction based in rural south Leicestershire and is currently delivering on a £55 million Masterplan, which will transform the zoo over the next 20 years. We have already opened two major new habitats since the launch of the Masterplan in March 2015, including Giraffe Savannah and the moated island complex Gibbon Forest; we are also in the process of building our new chimpanzee complex and have further exciting plans for developing the Zoo and growing all areas of our charity.
We currently have a vacancy for a Senior Animal Keeper to work on our Great Apes section. This area manages all four species of great ape: gorilla, chimpanzee, orangutan and bonobo.
· working on the section, covering all areas of animal husbandry
· assisting with the training and development of staff
· training and record keeping
· interacting with zoo visitors
Key Skills & Requirements:
· minimum of 4 years’ experience as a keeper – must include working with Great Apes
· enthusiastic, high performing and motivated with a proven track record in zoo animal management
· substantial working knowledge of the natural history and management of key species
· good team worker with a positive outlook and excellent communication skills
· commitment to continued professional development of yourself and other staff
· previous experience of supervising and training staff
· zoo keeping experience and a relevant animal-related qualification
The role is offered on a permanent contract. The role is a full time position (working on average 5 days out of 7) and includes weekend duties on a rota system. Salary is paid monthly, 31 days paid holiday per annum.
If you are interested, please send your CV along with a covering letter to email@example.com
This vacancy will close as soon as sufficient applications have been received, therefore you should submit your application as soon as possible.
Independent International Zoo Consultant