Chessington World of Adventures
We are Chessington World of Adventures Resort and we are part of the magical Merlin Entertainments!
We are currently recruiting for an aquarist/aquatics keeper. In this role you will support all aspects of husbandry and welfare, maintaining high standards of animal health, well-being, and public appreciation. We are looking for someone with practical experience working within an aquarium environment and/or with marine mammals, in particular sea lions, in a training environment and should be able to demonstrate successful application of operant and classical conditioning with an emphasis on positive environment.
You will present the SEA LIFE centre and Sea Lion Shows to our guests, in an immersive and educational manner. You will be responsible for the maintenance and refurbishment of displays and presentations, ensuring that correct husbandry needs are met and completing records and documentation as required.
You will also need to keep up-to-date with zoo world best practices and have a strong knowledge of our competitors.
We are looking for the following skills and experience;
- Previous experience within a similar environment and have achieved a qualification in Animal Management, marine related qualification, animal training or equivalent.
- A good level of understanding of natural sciences, and knowledge of the husbandry, welfare and ethical needs of underwater creatures and/or marine mammals.
- Exceptional presentation skills are a must, in addition to the ability & passion to interact with the public.
- Strong communication & computer skills are required as is efficient time management and organisational skills.
- Swimming & diving ability with a SCUBA certification is advantageous.
- Enthusiasm to learn & develop in the role, a good level of understanding of animal behaviour.
- An understanding of our family resort and have the confidence and ability to interact and engage with our guests of all ages.
This role is full time, permanent, averaging 40 hours per week and will include weekends and bank holidays as required.
Alongside a competitive annual salary and 28 days holiday you can look forward to enjoying a great benefits package including a Group Personal Pension Plan, Merlin Magic pass, Employee Assistance Programme, Childcare Vouchers, Life Assurance, 25% discount in our retail shops and restaurants, 40% discount online off of Lego, and much more!
Closing date for applications is: 10th Jul 2017
To apply for this job:
To apply please follow the link HERE
Independent International Zoo Consultant