Deputy Head Keeper of Carnivores
West Midland Safari & Leisure Park
West Midland Safari Park is currently seeking a permanent deputy head keeper for their carnivore section. This section manages African lions, tigers, painted dogs, cheetah and dholes in drive-through exhibits in a safari park setting.The role requires direct involvement in the daily management of the animals on the section, along with mentoring, training, and developing the team.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate:
- A proven track records of the management of these species and be able to develop a range of skills and knowledge in this field
- A high level of interpersonal and people management skills
- An ability to interact with visitors and a high level of customer care
- Excellent leadership qualities and a proven track record of supervising a large team including permanent and seasonal staff
- An ability to liaise with managers and communicate at all levels
- An excellent understanding of animal husbandry
- A professional and methodical approach to record keeping, staff training and health and safety
- The ability to help the Head Keeper in developing the Carnivore Section
Due to the nature of the role, all candidates must have a full and valid driving licence. In addition, the successful candidate will need an appropriate related qualification in an animal management discipline and a DMZAA (or equivalent) along with previous experience in managing staff in a previous role. Firearms experience would be preferred but is not essential. Working weekend, bank holidays and flexibility in working hours is essential to this role. Some evening work will be required during special events throughout the year.
Apply for this job:
To apply for this position please visit HERE and follow the instructions.
Closing date for applications is: 19th Jun 2017
Independent International Zoo Consultant