Veterinarian FOUR PAWS Vietnam
FOUR PAWS is an international animal welfare organization with headquarters in Vienna, Austria, and has offices in 10 other countries. Founded in 1988, the organization strives for improvements in animal welfare through sustainable campaigns and projects. FOUR PAWS focuses on animals that are directly under human influence. FOUR PAWS builds a BEAR SANCTUARY for mistreated bile bears in the Province Ninh Binh.
FOUR PAWS Viet is a part of FOUR PAWS International and has been operating in Vietnam for over two years. The operations in Vietnam are focused on but not limited to the building of a BEAR SANCTUARY in Cuc Phuong, Ninh Binh Province, Vietnam. The BEAR SANCTUARY Ninh Binh is currently under construction in its first phase of building a 3.6 ha site with plans to enlarge the site over the coming years. The BEAR SANCTUARY aims to rehabilitate bears from the bile industry as well as those confiscated from the wildlife trade. FOUR PAWS cooperates close together with the government regarding the BEAR SANCTUARY Ninh Binh as well as other state shelters like the Hanoi Wildlife Rescue Centre or Wildlife Conservation Projects.
Scope of Work
The veterinarian will be responsible for providing extensive veterinary care to bears rescued from bile farms in Vietnam. This includes wildlife anaesthesia, surgeries, relocations, diagnostic imaging, blood analysis, and long term treatments. Most of these bears have been physically and psychologically compromised and require extensive veterinary care to facilitate their rehabilitation. The sanctuary will be brand new and the veterinarian will be involved in the establishment of the onsite veterinary clinic, all veterinary protocols and recordkeeping. The veterinarian will also be expected to contribute to capacity building of local veterinarians and will work closely with the bear keeper team to provide holistic care for the rescued bears.
• Qualified veterinarian with a minimum 3 years’ experience (required for getting the working permit in Vietnam) in a veterinary practice or equivalent facility
• Some experience with wildlife species would be helpful
• Dedication and passion for animal welfare and FOUR PAWS values and issues
• Willingness to attend wildlife medical training
• Excellent organisational skills
• Problem solving, initiative and flexibility
• High level of responsibility and personal drive
• Very good spoken English
• Willingness and capability to live in rural Vietnam
• Police check certificate
• Driving licence
What FOUR PAWS offer
• A dynamic and pleasant working environment in a motivated team
• Training with experienced wildlife vets
• Relocation assistance
• A perspective of a long-term employment
• A fully integrated and respectful partnership within an international organization
• Work experience in an international organisation
Are you looking for such an opportunity?
Please send your comprehensive application including your salary expectation and your possible date of entry in English via email to
Closing date for applications is 30th June 2017
Independent International Zoo Consultant