Primate Care Staff
2x Primate Care Staff
This internationally-acclaimed rescue centre, in 65 acres of beautiful Dorset woodland, is home to over 250 primates. Many have been neglected, kept in unnatural conditions, or experienced unbelievable cruelty. At Monkey World, we strive to provide them company of their own kind in a safe and natural environment.
The successful candidate will train on at least one of our six primate sections: orang-utans, chimpanzees, gibbons, capuchins, woolly’s and ‘small monkeys’. They will be involved in the day to day care of the primates including cleaning, diet preparation, health monitoring, enrichment, and operant conditioning. They will also be involved in record keeping and interacting with visitors in both formal and informal contexts.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in an animal care role – ideally this will include working with primates (Any applications with less than this experience will not be shortlisted.
- Enthusiastic, high performing and motivated.
- Good team worker with a positive outlook and excellent communication skills at all levels.
- Commitment to continued professional development
- Up-to-date basic knowledge and understanding of zoo legislation and best practice.
- Have a sound basis of practical knowledge and skill regarding a high level of animal care including dietary knowledge and husbandry.
- Strong observation skills
- Experience of public speaking
- Full clean driving licence essential due to location
- Condition of appointment
This position will be subject to a six-month probationary period
A relevant animal-related qualification
Proven success or knowledge of operant conditioning.
The role is full time and includes weekend duties as part of the current rolling roster system. Salary is paid monthly, we provide uniform and 28 days holiday per annum (including bank holidays). Staff accommodation dependant on availability.
Closing date for applications is: 30th Jul 2017
To apply for this job:
Please send covering letter and current CV to: - email@example.com
Or alternatively post to:
Elisa Atkins, HR Manager
Monkey World Ape Rescue Centre
Independent International Zoo Consultant