Senior Keeper (Mammals)
Senior Keeper (Mammals) – Paignton Zoo
Full-time – 38.75 hours per week includes working a rota of 2 out of 3 weekends.
We are looking for a Senior Animal Keeper within the Mammal Department.
This role will involve the hands on day-to-day husbandry of a large and diverse collection of mammals focusing on animal welfare, bio-security, record keeping and ensuring that exhibits are maintained to the highest standards. This position will focus particularly on the care of Great apes and other primate species.
The successful candidate will:
• Have at least 4 years of experience working with Mammal species in a zoological collection or similar establishment and of which at least 2 years should have been spent working with Great Apes.
• Have completed the DMZAA course or have a minimum of 5 years experience.
• Be able to demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of current mammal husbandry practices and have proven experience in the successful husbandry of a wide range of mammals, with a particular emphasis placed on great apes and other primate species. A logical, precise and scientific approach to animal keeping is required.
• Have significant experience and interest in Mammal Husbandry and implementing best husbandry practices.
• Assist the Senior Head Keeper and Head keeper in the day to day running of the mammal department and be able to deputize for them in their absence.
• Have an understanding of government guidelines and regulations pertaining to the running of an animal collection and its employees and help ensure senior staff that these are attained to within the mammal department on a daily basis.
• Be able to give clear guidance to junior staff, volunteers and work experience and assist the Senior Head Keeper and Head keeper in their training and continued development, through strong leadership and team building skills.
• Be a strong communicator and realize the importance of this within the senior keeper role, Mammal department and organization as a whole.
• Understand the conservation, research and educational role of ex-situ and in-situ animal populations.
• Be reliable with good time-keeping and attendance and able to demonstrate professionalism.
• Be a self-disciplined team player with a positive attitude.
• Be proficient in Microsoft software including Outlook, Excel and Word.
• Hold a full driving license.
• Supervisory experience is an advantage but not essential.
Further details on applying can be found on our website www.paigntonzoo.org.uk
Closing date: Friday 7th July 2017
Interview date: Approximately Monday 17th July 2017
Independent International Zoo Consultant