Loro Parque / Loro Parque Fundación & Poema del Mar
Are you Enthusiastic, Energetic, Outgoing and ready to be part of an adventure where everyone is a part of an unforgettable journey to the wonders of our unique islands? If you are, we invite you to submit your applications for the post of:
Position Summary: A great opportunity exists for an ambitious, team player and responsible veterinarian to join our expanding team at Loro Parque / Loro Parque Fundación and the brand new Oceanarium Poema del Mar. The position if for an experience veterinarian with special focus on all aspects of zoological medicine in one of the largest zoological collection in the world. The collection is divided in four different locations, which requires travelling between collections.
Summary of position responsibilities:
• Participate in the daily activities of the medical service of the park, including primary case responsibility and regular case rounds with Loro Parque / Loro Parque Fundación & Poema del Mar staff.
• Report directly to the Director of the Veterinary & Laboratory Services, to establish and maintain protocols for the proper husbandry and care of the animals in different locations.
• Assist in determining research priorities and become involved as necessary in any research projects supported by the facility.
• Determine medication regimes, treatment methods, feeding, and other protocols as necessary and desirable for optimum animal welfare and husbandry.
• Administer supplements, medications and treatment protocols.
• Conduct frequent observations of animals and report any abnormalities, health or welfare issues, or change of behavior.
• Maintain standard record keeping related to animal health and welfare, animal behavior, diagnostic interventions, treatment protocols, and other departmental procedural documents. Work with department management and staff to ensure the accuracy, clarity, and availability of all documents.
• Accommodate and assist with regular audits and inspections by local and international authorities as required.
• Plan/participate in research and conservation programs related to the goals of the Loro Parque Fundación.
• Assist in preparing monthly reports for distribution to all relevant managers.
• Train and update husbandry staff in areas of basic medical care to ensure staff comprehension in cases of care for minor incidents.
• Provide emergency care for the animals in the different collections (Loro Parque / Loro Parque Fundación & Poema del Mar).
• Provide mentorship, coaching, instruction, assistance, and supervision to veterinary students, work-experience students, and assigned interns.
Essential skills and experience:
• Qualified veterinarian licensed to practice in the Canary Islands, Spain. This will require veterinary licensure in the European Union.
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience related to veterinary medicine of exotic & zoo species, with a special focus on aquatic medicine (fish and marine mammals).
• Good understanding and experience of animal behavior, husbandry, and welfare.
• Availability and ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
• Ability to organize workload and prioritize tasks.
• Ability to communicate with, motivate, and work alongside other staff to build an effective team.
• Ability to develop and motivate a team of volunteers and/or student intern
• Ability to communicate effectively to a variety of audiences in both verbal and written forms.
• Ability to provide and support a vision and direction for the welfare of zoo animals (predominantly marine mammals and fish).
Loro Parque / Loro Parque Fundación & Poema del Mar affords an excellent opportunity for people to gain experience in our exciting tourism industry. This facility offers a chance for the right individual to work in one of leading zoological collection worldwide. We are offering a competitive compensation, which includes 30 working days of vacation. Remuneration will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To express your interest in this role, please submit a curriculum vitae, references, and cover letter by August 2017 to the following address:
Chief Human Resources Officer
Or email: email@example.com
Independent International Zoo Consultant