Temporary (6 months) – 30 hours per week
We are Chester Zoo, and for over 80 years we’ve been a leading conservation and education charity, and an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction.
We’re also a team of passionate, talented, enthusiastic and expert people, doing everything we can to keep the zoo going, from feeding the animals to discovering new conservation ideas, and giving our 1.9 million visitors an inspirational day out.
We work hard because we love animals, we care about nature, we love Chester Zoo and we want to be the best zoo in the world!
If you think you can help us to achieve that, then we’d love to hear from you.
Our award winning Discovery and Learning Team is central to our visitors’ experience and their engagement with animals and conservation issues and we deliver this through diverse, fun and exciting means. We also reach 25,000 students each year in our taught sessions, ranging through all the key stages and above.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Learning Assistant to join our team to assist our Education Officers and Zoo Rangers in the delivery of interactive learning experiences for school groups, children’s clubs and visitors.
Our Learning Assistant will deliver our discovery workshops, help run our different children’s clubs and supervise activities and run interactive conservation education activities for our visitors throughout the year. Our Learning Assistant will also assist with visitor engagement at exhibits and enclosures to help promote Chester Zoo’s mission.
The successful candidate will have:
• A Zoology or Biological Science degree, or equivalent qualification
• Experience of education work within a zoo, conservation organisation or similar environment
• Outstanding communication and presentation skills, which will be used for teaching and delivering learning in different formats
• Excellent attention to detail and the ability to think critically about new programmes
• A good working knowledge of Microsoft Office packages and other technology for public presentations
• Excellent time management and planning skills
• Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work alone and within a team setting
• Experience working in a public facing role, with demonstrable customer service skills
This position is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Hours of work are 30 hours per week, including weekends and Bank Holidays as rostered. During busy periods, there will be a requirement to be flexible with regards to hours of work.
The rate of pay for this role is £8.35 per hour and in addition we offer a range of amazing benefits which can be found at http://www.chesterzoo.org/footer/careers/working-at-chester-zoo.
To apply for this position, please provide your current CV and complete the application form highlighting your skills and experience including why you should be considered for our Learning Assistant role to http://www.chesterzoo.org/footer/careers.
Closing date for applications is 7th July 2017.
Independent International Zoo Consultant